Once again, this year seems to have flown by… I’m floored by the fact that Thanksgiving will be here in a week! We’re hosting a small dinner- our guests will include our friend’s parents from Ireland, so we need to make sure their first ‘American Thanksgiving’ is fantastic! In addition to all the delicious food (I hope!), I’ve been brainstorming for the table decor and came up with this cute turkey* place card idea:
*My husband thinks that these poor turkeys look a bit too upbeat, considering what will be on the table..!
The best part is that it includes one of my favorite things… napkin folding! (Yes, seriously. Is that too dorky to admit in my first blog post here?!) If you’ve never ventured into fancy folds, just try out this pretty fan fold – it is seriously easy to do, yet looks so impressive. Your guests will feel so special!
Start with a square napkin (shown are these ones from World Market), then follow the steps below:
1. Fold your square napkin in half, creating a rectangle
2. Starting at one of the short ends, start accordion folding the napkin. (Each fold should be about 2 inches wide.) Stop folding when you get about 4 inches from the end, leaving an unfolded ‘tail’
3. Flip the whole napkin over and fold everything – folds + ‘tail’ – in half. The ‘tail’ portion should be on the inside, with the accordion outside (see the picture below).
4. The ‘tail’ part is going to be the back of the fan, and ends up being the stand to keep the napkin upright. Fold the top corner of the tail (both layers) in towards the accordion folds.
5. Tuck that corner in tight, nestling it right in the middle, in between where the tail began and the next fold. When you let go of your folds, the display will open into a beautiful fan!
You could be finished, but I suggest adding my free Turkey Printable… your napkin fold is instantly transformed into your turkey’s tail feathers! Just print the design onto a white cardstock (my favorite is from Paper Source) & cut around each turkey. The fold the rectangular portion at the bottom to make a stand, then place underneath the center of your folded napkin (shown here in front):
Download the FREE Printable .pdf file here – you can also change the text shown on each turkey’s sign, so these would also make great place cards. For those of you with kiddos (or just enjoy coloring!), there is also a black-and-white version – this would be a great way to include them in making your Thanksgiving table look its best!
Note: these printables are for personal use only – please do not alter or distribute.